Problem with live source in bin

Dennis Ranke
Hi!

While refactoring a small application I am writing, I tried to move
parts of my pipeline to a bin. However, the pipeline never seems to
really start playing when there is a live source as well as sinks that
need preroll in the bin.

I have stripped my pipeline down to this very simple case:

gst-launch videotestsrc ! \( ximagesink audiotestsrc is-live=true !
fakesink \)

Without the 'is-live=true' or without the braces (ie. without a bin) it
works fine.
Is there some reason for this not working I am missing here?

I tried to look through the logs produced by --gst-debug-level=4 but
only got as far as: The sinks never send a ASYNC_DONE message (before
the window is closed), and the audiotestsrc is never activated (no
"<audiotestsrc0> Activating in push mode").
That's it though, i have no idea what the real cause for this is and how
I can prevent it.

The odd thing is that, as far as I can see, cheese is doing more or less
the same thing when recording video - and it's working there.

This is with gstreamer 0.10.14 on ubuntu gutsy.

Cheers,
Dennis

Re: Problem with live source in bin

Dennis Ranke
Dennis Ranke wrote:

> While refactoring a small application I am writing, I tried to move
> parts of my pipeline to a bin. However, the pipeline never seems to
> really start playing when there is a live source as well as sinks that
> need preroll in the bin.
> [...]
> This is with gstreamer 0.10.14 on ubuntu gutsy.

Just a small follow-up:
I have downloaded and compiled gstreamer 0.10.17 in the meantime and it
all works fine now. So I guess this was probably a gstreamer bug that is
already fixed.

Cheers,
Dennis