Re: a Google Summer of Code GUI application for Media / Multimedia operations

Re: a Google Summer of Code GUI application for Media / Multimedia operations

Stefan Sauer
Hi Roberto,

Quoting Roberto Fagá <[hidden email]>:

> Hello Stefan Kost
>
>  I was writing an application to Summer of Code, and found you will be
> the mentor of gstreamer projects. Let me (try to) be small and
> objective about the idea which I have for an application.
>  It is a media operator, or multimedia if you prefer, a program to let
> user convert videos, audio and images across different formats, plus
> extract audio from videos, merge image and audio into a video and
> these kind of operations. I thought in a set of glade interfaces which
> user select easily the operation and operations are done on background
> with gstreamer.The main goal is to bring easy use to user on daily use
> (how many 'use's), using all gstreamer lib resources as possible.
>
>  Suggestions? Is this project nice to gstreamer or should I try
> another organization?

I put the gstreamer mailing list in CC. I suggest that you subscribe
there and discuss the proposal there too. We can also talk on irc
about this. If you look at http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/apps/ you
can see that most applications are media-players. Your brief proposal
describes a nice tool that we don't have in this form. There are some
tools already for subtasks, but some of those seems to be not that
active. Some examples
convert sounds : Sound Converter
convert to ogg files : OggConvert
There is also GEntrans targetting transcoding.

I definitely encourage you to write a proposal. As this is an
extensive project I recommend that you structure the features into
iterations (basic features, addition #1 (e.g. audio related), addition
#2 (e.g. video related)). I hope you also plan to work on this beyond
the summer.

>  Thanks for the attention!
>
>  Roberto Faga

Ciao
   Stefan

Re: a Google Summer of Code GUI application for Media / Multimedia operations

Roberto Fagá
Ok, hello community!

I was writing the application for this project, and I created a wiki
with more details:
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/wiki/MediaTrans
(the name could be another)
I would love to have suggestions and criticisms!
Also, this project is an application using gstreamer, so could it be
judged as a gnome application too? I was in doubt with it, but using
the criteria by Christian Schaller, on his blog, I'll need much more
help in gstreamer than in interfaces.
And Stefan, I pretend to continue in the project the Summer of Code,
as I am in OLPC after I participated GSoC last year (also this project
could be ported to Sugar - OLPC's OS too).

Thanks for all!
Roberto

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 5:45 AM, Stefan Kost <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Roberto,
>

>  Quoting Roberto Fagá <[hidden email]>:
>
>  > Hello Stefan Kost
>  >
>  >  I was writing an application to Summer of Code, and found you will be
>  > the mentor of gstreamer projects. Let me (try to) be small and
>  > objective about the idea which I have for an application.
>  >  It is a media operator, or multimedia if you prefer, a program to let
>  > user convert videos, audio and images across different formats, plus
>  > extract audio from videos, merge image and audio into a video and
>  > these kind of operations. I thought in a set of glade interfaces which
>  > user select easily the operation and operations are done on background
>  > with gstreamer.The main goal is to bring easy use to user on daily use
>  > (how many 'use's), using all gstreamer lib resources as possible.
>  >
>  >  Suggestions? Is this project nice to gstreamer or should I try
>  > another organization?
>
>  I put the gstreamer mailing list in CC. I suggest that you subscribe
>  there and discuss the proposal there too. We can also talk on irc
>  about this. If you look at http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/apps/ you
>  can see that most applications are media-players. Your brief proposal
>  describes a nice tool that we don't have in this form. There are some
>  tools already for subtasks, but some of those seems to be not that
>  active. Some examples
>  convert sounds : Sound Converter
>  convert to ogg files : OggConvert
>  There is also GEntrans targetting transcoding.
>
>  I definitely encourage you to write a proposal. As this is an
>  extensive project I recommend that you structure the features into
>  iterations (basic features, addition #1 (e.g. audio related), addition
>  #2 (e.g. video related)). I hope you also plan to work on this beyond
>  the summer.
>

>  >
>  >  Thanks for the attention!
>  >
>  >  Roberto Faga
>  >
>
>  Ciao
>    Stefan

Re: a Google Summer of Code GUI application for Media / Multimedia operations

Stefan Sauer
Hi,

I looked at your proposal. The application would make a nice addition to the
gnome platform. Still its a long  way to get there. Transcoding media would be a
nice service as such, but also a good addition for applictions like Conduit. One
'missing' piece on the way there are encoding profiles [1]. I think it would be
good to rescope the project a bit - right clicking a file in nautilus and
transcoding to something. The dvd ripping part is handled by thoggen already.
Although I assume thoggen would be interested in the encoder options.
The third part - changing the audio track of a video - is maybe better done in
e.g. pitivi (which again would love to get a encoder opetions dialog).

I would offer to mentor your project, if you are fine with setting a smaller goal.

STefan

[1] http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/wiki/EncodingProfiles

Roberto Fagá schrieb:

> [...]
>>  tools already for subtasks, but some of those seems to be not that
>>  active. Some examples
>>  convert sounds : Sound Converter
>>  convert to ogg files : OggConvert
>>  There is also GEntrans targetting transcoding.
>>
>>  I definitely encourage you to write a proposal. As this is an
>>  extensive project I recommend that you structure the features into
>>  iterations (basic features, addition #1 (e.g. audio related), addition
>>  #2 (e.g. video related)). I hope you also plan to work on this beyond
>>  the summer.
>>

>>  >
>>  >  Thanks for the attention!
>>  >
>>  >  Roberto Faga
>>  >
>>
>>  Ciao
>>    Stefan

Re: a Google Summer of Code GUI application for Media / Multimedia operations

Hello Stefan and community

By rescope you mean to simplify the project to not implement an entire
application, but implement a kind of service to be used by nautilus,
conduit, pitivi and so on? And this service could offer a dialog box
or something else to make the transcoding operations? If so it's nice
to me, as one of my intentions is to integrate with user environment,
with gnome and user applications. Nice you liked and offered to mentor
me!
Also, if so I'll change / compact the wiki page (and probably change
the google application's name from "Media application" to "Media
service" or "Multimedia service" while there is time)

Thanks!!
Roberto

Roberto Fagá schrieb:
> Hello Stefan and community
>
> By rescope you mean to simplify the project to not implement an entire
> application, but implement a kind of service to be used by nautilus,
> conduit, pitivi and so on? And this service could offer a dialog box
> or something else to make the transcoding operations? If so it's nice
> to me, as one of my intentions is to integrate with user environment,
> with gnome and user applications. Nice you liked and offered to mentor
> me!

Yep, exactly. All those application would do duplication efforts otherwise.
Having the same UI would also help users as they only need to know one dialog.

Stefan