Where is the source code that GST uses to connect to V4L2?

Where is the source code that GST uses to connect to V4L2?

Topi Hukkanen
Is it in the bad plugins?  Where?

Also:

~$ gst-launch v4l2src ! xvimagesink
ERROR: pipeline could not be constructed: no element "v4l2src".

Is this error indicative that I have not properly installed the v4l2src "glue" after compiling gstreamer?

Re: Where is the source code that GST uses to connect to V4L2?

Topi Hukkanen
Another note:

When trying to compile the GST Good plugins, I get:
    WARNING: *** v4l2src pre-configured not to be built

Why is it not built by default?

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 2:31 PM, Topi Hukkanen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is it in the bad plugins?  Where?

Also:

~$ gst-launch v4l2src ! xvimagesink
ERROR: pipeline could not be constructed: no element "v4l2src".

Is this error indicative that I have not properly installed the v4l2src "glue" after compiling gstreamer?

Re: Where is the source code that GST uses to connect to V4L2?

Tim-Philipp Müller-2
On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 15:49 +0200, Topi Hukkanen wrote:

> When trying to compile the GST Good plugins, I get:
>     WARNING: *** v4l2src pre-configured not to be built
>
> Why is it not built by default?

It's only built if you pass --enable-experimental to ./configure

Cheers
 -Tim

> On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 2:31 PM, Topi Hukkanen
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>         Is it in the bad plugins?  Where?
>
>         Also:
>
>         ~$ gst-launch v4l2src ! xvimagesink
>         ERROR: pipeline could not be constructed: no element
>         "v4l2src".
>

>         Is this error indicative that I have not properly installed
>         the v4l2src "glue" after compiling gstreamer?

Re: Where is the source code that GST uses to connect to V4L2?

Topi Hukkanen
Ok,  I rebuilt the good plugins with --enable-experimental.

So now when I'm running:

hamburglar@hamburglar-desktop:~/Desktop/GSTStuff/gst-plugins-good-0.10.6$ gst-launch v4l2src ! ximagesink
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
ERROR: Pipeline doesn't want to pause.
ERROR: from element /pipeline0/v4l2src0: Error getting capabilities for device '/dev/video0': It isn't a v4l2 driver. Check if it is a v4l1 driver.
Additional debug info:
v4l2_calls.c(70): gst_v4l2_get_capabilities (): /pipeline0/v4l2src0:
system error: Invalid argument
Setting pipeline to NULL ...
FREEING pipeline ...

So I guess this means my webcam doesn't support v4l2?  Is this an incorrect assumption, or am I misunderstanding something here?  I thought v4l2 was a set of API's...  and v4l / v4l2 were just two sets of APIs to a device...  err... huh?  I guess I'm pretty confused.  Why would my Logitech Quickcam even support v4l if it's made for windows?

Anyways, I next tried...

hamburglar@hamburglar-desktop:~/Desktop/GSTStuff/gst-plugins-good-0.10.6$ gst-launch v4lsrc ! ximagesink
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
ERROR: Pipeline doesn't want to pause.
ERROR: from element /pipeline0/v4lsrc0: Could not negotiate format
Additional debug info:
gstbasesrc.c(2293): gst_base_src_start (): /pipeline0/v4lsrc0:
Check your filtered caps, if any
Setting pipeline to NULL ...
FREEING pipeline ...

Here, I saw that the camera get's "activated", at least camera-monitor flips on for a moment...
However, with the "could not negotiate format", I'm again pretty lost.  Where is the documentation that explains these kinds of things I'm trying to do?  Anyone know if I'm misunderstanding something specific, or is it more of a general "I just don't know what I'm doing".