gstreamer ogg/theora live encoding

David REGADE
Hi everyone,

For a previous project I had to wrote a software that record video from a
video4linux device to a ogg/theora file.
Now I'm on a new project that needs to record video from video4linux and sound
from sound card and to encode these streams in ogg/vorbis/theora. We choose for
this project to test gstreamer.
My problem is that with my own software I'm able to encode video (and only
video) at 768x576 with 70% of load average on my dev computer with
deinterlacing. But with gstreamer using gst-launch or a piece of C/C++ sofware
using libgstreamer load average is nearly 100% for video at 640x480 without
deinterlacing.

Does someone know how to increase performances in order to be able to encode
768x576 videos with sound and deinterlacing.

Regards

Re: gstreamer ogg/theora live encoding

Florent THIERY-2
Hi

>  Does someone know how to increase performances in order to be able to encode
>  768x576 videos with sound and deinterlacing.

Well, either buy a new machine ^^ or use a multithreaded codec (ex:
x264) on a multi-cpu machine....

Or take a look at the OpenGL accelerated plugins, some operations (ex:
colorspace conversion) can be done on the GPU; but i doubt it's mature
enough for you or that you could accelerate deinterlacing
operations...