httpsink-equivalent ?

Florent THIERY-2
Hi,

I was wondering: would it be a good idea to implement some httpserversink ?

* If so, where to start ? :)
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/academic/class/15213-f00/www/tiny/tiny.c
? http://dclib.sourceforge.net/network.html#http ? Anyone knowing a
suitable, interesting tiny http webserver library ?
* If not, why is that much of a bad idea ? I mean, installing a whole
flumotion for streaming a pipeline over http seems a bit... Overkill.

FLo

Re: httpsink-equivalent ?

Wouter Cloetens
On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 01:16:21AM +0100, Florent wrote:
> I was wondering: would it be a good idea to implement some httpserversink ?

Yes.
:-)

> * If so, where to start ? :)
> http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/academic/class/15213-f00/www/tiny/tiny.c
> ? http://dclib.sourceforge.net/network.html#http ? Anyone knowing a
> suitable, interesting tiny http webserver library ?
> * If not, why is that much of a bad idea ? I mean, installing a whole
> flumotion for streaming a pipeline over http seems a bit... Overkill.

Well, libsoup, upon which the souphttpsrc plug-in is based, has support
for operation as an HTTP server. I'm considering writing a souphttpsink
some time in the next couple of months. It also supports HTTPS.

Now, downsides to an httpsink could be having to worry about security.
An Apache module, for instance, may not have to worry about HTTPS,
client/server certificates, basic authentication, cookie-based request
authorisation, as well as deferring HTTP security worries to a tested,
proven and audited-outside-of-GStreamer web server. OTOH, the footprint
of Apache is too large for some applications.

bfn, Wouter

Re: httpsink-equivalent ?

Florent THIERY-2
> Well, libsoup, upon which the souphttpsrc plug-in is based, has support
> for operation as an HTTP server. I'm considering writing a souphttpsink
> some time in the next couple of months. It also supports HTTPS.
>
> Now, downsides to an httpsink could be having to worry about security.

Such a GStreamer element could be mostly used for internal purposes
(ex: for streaming to home devices, like TV set top boxes), and may
well be reverse proxied for security-critical applications...

Glad to hear a dead-simple http sink could be interesting; a chat on
the IRC channel seemed to open up the feasibility of wrapping up
tcpserversink using standard webservers... Not investigated yet this
path.

FLo

Re: httpsink-equivalent ?

Daniel Fischer

Florent,

just for the record, it's a badly done ad-hoc element, but i've
once constructed a "httpheaders" element that adds simple http headers
as "streamheaders" to the data. It completely disregards any request
values, but for some simple things it even works.

You would use it like
whateversrc ! httpheaders content-type=video/x-my-encoding !
tcpserversink

that old code is at:
 http://iterative.org/misc/gsthttpheaders.c
 http://iterative.org/misc/gsthttpheaders.h

-dan

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 01:16:21 +0100
Florent <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering: would it be a good idea to implement some
> httpserversink ?
>
> * If so, where to start ? :)
> http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/academic/class/15213-f00/www/tiny/tiny.c
> ? http://dclib.sourceforge.net/network.html#http ? Anyone knowing a
> suitable, interesting tiny http webserver library ?
> * If not, why is that much of a bad idea ? I mean, installing a whole
> flumotion for streaming a pipeline over http seems a bit... Overkill.
>
> FLo

Re: httpsink-equivalent ?

Florent THIERY-2
Apart from Daniel's element (which i did not manage to port), i just
found a possible source for inspiration for this httpserversink
element...

http://mjpg-streamer.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/mjpg-streamer/mjpg-streamer/plugins/output_http/

Looks like an interesting, lightweight codebase !