Different input/output formats

AlannY-2
I'm developing a plugin that filters a video. That plugin can read data
from pad in YUV422 and RGB24 format. Should I to add support for other
formats of YUV and RGB? I mean, the end-user can send data to my plugin
with different color space and my plugin will reject it. Should I add
functionality for <as many as possible> formats or just tell end-user to
convert data before?

Thank you.

Re: Different input/output formats

Julien Isorce
Hi,

You should add more possibilities only if you filter can use it directly without convert it. I mean if you have to convert them before, it has not interest to do the samething as the ffmpegcolorspace does.

Julien

2008/4/11, AlannY <[hidden email]>:
I'm developing a plugin that filters a video. That plugin can read data
from pad in YUV422 and RGB24 format. Should I to add support for other
formats of YUV and RGB? I mean, the end-user can send data to my plugin
with different color space and my plugin will reject it. Should I add
functionality for <as many as possible> formats or just tell end-user to
convert data before?

Thank you.

Re: Different input/output formats

Tim-Philipp Müller-2
On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 17:30 +0400, AlannY wrote:

> I'm developing a plugin that filters a video. That plugin can read data
> from pad in YUV422 and RGB24 format. Should I to add support for other
> formats of YUV and RGB? I mean, the end-user can send data to my plugin
> with different color space and my plugin will reject it. Should I add
> functionality for <as many as possible> formats or just tell end-user to
> convert data before?

You should only advertise the exact format(s) your plugin is actually
able to handle. That way upstream elements like ffmpegcolorspace and the
like can figure out if they need to do any conversions or not. Do not
advertise formats you are going to reject.

 Cheers
  -Tim