First Plugin - Compiling and installation

First Plugin - Compiling and installation

Ionut Dediu
Hi,

I am trying to get started with GStreamer plugin devel. I wrote a basic plugin, based on the gst-template plugin. I compiled and installed it with autogen.sh make and make install from the top directory. All steps seem to be successful. However I want to inspect it using gst-inspect mypluginname, but it gives me the following error: No such element or plugin 'mypluginname'... I have also looked in the registry file under ~/.gstreamer-0.10/registry.i486.xml to see if this file was modified to include my plugin, but it wasn't. So what are the necessary steps to correctly build and install a "Hello World" plugin? What does installing a plugin mean? Will its library be copied to a certain location and/or the plugin has to be included in the rtegistry xml file? Needles to say the Plugin Writer's Guide fails to mention anything about compling and installing a plugin.

Thanks,
Ionut

Re: First Plugin - Compiling and installation

Alex Ugarte-2
Hi!
I had this problem and  it was because gstreamer looked for plugins in /usr/lib/gstreamer/... and mine was instaled in /lib/gstreamer/... (or something like that).
Try using the --prefix=/usr option when configuring.

There are a copule of arguments for gst-inspect and gst-launch that can be usefull too:
--gst-plugin-path=PATH
Add directories separated with ':' to the plugin search path
--gst-plugin-load=PLUGINS
Preload plugins specified in a comma-separated list. Another way to specify plugins to preload is to use the environment variable GST_PLUGIN_PATH
With these, you don't even have to install the plugin.

I hope it helps

On 3/7/08, Ionut Dediu <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Looking for last minute shopping deals? <a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51734/*http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)"> Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

[hidden email]
<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gstreamer-devel" target="_blank">https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gstreamer-devel

Re: First Plugin - Compiling and installation

Tim-Philipp Müller-2
On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 00:13 -0800, Ionut Dediu wrote:

> I am trying to get started with GStreamer plugin devel. I wrote a basic
>  plugin, based on the gst-template plugin. I compiled and installed it
>  with autogen.sh make and make install from the top directory. All
>  steps seem to be successful. However I want to inspect it using
>  gst-inspect mypluginname, but it gives me the following error: No such
>  element or plugin 'mypluginname'...

Chances are that the default prefix (/usr/local/) was used, so your
plugin got installed into /usr/local/lib/gstreamer-0.10/, while you're
using GStreamer packages which usually go into the /usr prefix and will
only look in /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/ for plugins.

You could try

 a) copying the plugin .so into ~/.gstreamer-0.10/plugins/
 b) use export GST_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/local/lib/gstreamer-0.10/
 c) re-run autogen.sh or configure with --prefix=/usr (not recommended)

Cheers
 -Tim

Re: First Plugin - Compiling and installation

Ionut Dediu

Hi,

Thanks a lot guys, export GST_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/local/lib/gstreamer-0.10/ did the trick. I still have a question about the registry.CPU.xml file under ~/gstreamer-0.10. What is his purpose? It should list all the installed plugins, and since my make install rule executed successfully I would expected to add the plugin in the registry, but obviously this was not the case.

Thanks again,
Ionut

On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 01:49 -0800, Ionut Dediu wrote:

> I still have a question about the registry.CPU.xml file under
> ~/gstreamer-0.10. What is his purpose? It should list all the
> installed plugins, and since my make install rule executed
> successfully I would expected to add the plugin in the registry, but
> obviously this was not the case.

The file caches information about plugins previously found, so that
information is available without loading and inspecting all .so plugin
files at every gst_init(). It is usually (re-)generated from within
gst_init() if necessary, and will not be touched by any plugin
installation/deinstallation (even less so since the cache is per-user).

 Cheers
  -Tim