Google Summer of Code

Andoni Morales
Hi!

I'd like to participate on the GSOC developing a multilingual
embeddable multimedia player to give GTK multimedia application's
developpers an easy solution on multimedia player support.

The idea is to create a GtkWidget with an embedded gstreamer multimedia
player, based on the code of Totem, with bindings for the more commons
used languages to avoid programmers leading with the gstreamer code.
When requiring the use of a multimedia player on an program, the
developer must deal with the gstreamer libraries, this way he will just
have to deal with the GtkWidget embedding the player(e.g. the IGSTPlayer
interface).

I have already done a good job on Linux and i'm actually working on
windows support (audio works fine but i have problems whit the video
side)

The project have the following components:

        Totem based multimedia player written in C
        GtkWidget Video Panel embedding the player written in C.
        Gtk UI using Glade
        C#,c++,phyton,java... bindings

The bindings for every language are in fact very simple, it's just
wrapping the C methods.

Regards
        Andoni Morales Alastruey

Re: Google Summer of Code

Bastien Nocera-2

On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 18:42 +0200, Andoni Morales Alastruey wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'd like to participate on the GSOC developing a multilingual
> embeddable multimedia player to give GTK multimedia application's
> developpers an easy solution on multimedia player support.
>
> The idea is to create a GtkWidget with an embedded gstreamer multimedia
> player, based on the code of Totem, with bindings for the more commons
> used languages to avoid programmers leading with the gstreamer code.
> When requiring the use of a multimedia player on an program, the
> developer must deal with the gstreamer libraries, this way he will just
> have to deal with the GtkWidget embedding the player(e.g. the IGSTPlayer
> interface).

I've already mentioned to Sebastian that this would be a bad idea. The
current widget never got API review, the APIs are very ad-hoc and some
still based on what xine-lib can do, rather than what a GTK+-ish API
should do.

It also doesn't support enough for a number of applications:
- Doesn't have cross fade support, or support for enough metadata for
music players to use
- Doesn't have fast-fwd/speed settings for Totem
- The API with the different behaviours (audio, video, capture) is a bit
broken and wouldn't exist with a pure-GStreamer code base (it would
rather use interfaces, and a base class)

What's the target use for this widget then? Because it wouldn't be good
enough for Totem, Rhythmbox or Cheese to use.

Cheers

Re: Google Summer of Code

Sebastian Dröge
On Mi, 2008-04-02 at 18:03 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 18:42 +0200, Andoni Morales Alastruey wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'd like to participate on the GSOC developing a multilingual
> > embeddable multimedia player to give GTK multimedia application's
> > developpers an easy solution on multimedia player support.
> >
> > The idea is to create a GtkWidget with an embedded gstreamer multimedia
> > player, based on the code of Totem, with bindings for the more commons
> > used languages to avoid programmers leading with the gstreamer code.
> > When requiring the use of a multimedia player on an program, the
> > developer must deal with the gstreamer libraries, this way he will just
> > have to deal with the GtkWidget embedding the player(e.g. the IGSTPlayer
> > interface).
>
> I've already mentioned to Sebastian that this would be a bad idea. The
> current widget never got API review, the APIs are very ad-hoc and some
> still based on what xine-lib can do, rather than what a GTK+-ish API
> should do.
Right, and you convinced me :)

What we need is a widget that is not based on totem's ;) We need
something with a sane and clean API... which still has to be defined.

If you want to work on that, great, we really need something like
that :) But I don't think one can design a good API for that without
having much experience with GStreamer and GTK.

Re: Google Summer of Code

Andoni Morales
El mié, 02-04-2008 a las 19:23 +0200, Sebastian Dröge escribió:

> On Mi, 2008-04-02 at 18:03 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 18:42 +0200, Andoni Morales Alastruey wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > I'd like to participate on the GSOC developing a multilingual
> > > embeddable multimedia player to give GTK multimedia application's
> > > developpers an easy solution on multimedia player support.
> > >
> > > The idea is to create a GtkWidget with an embedded gstreamer multimedia
> > > player, based on the code of Totem, with bindings for the more commons
> > > used languages to avoid programmers leading with the gstreamer code.
> > > When requiring the use of a multimedia player on an program, the
> > > developer must deal with the gstreamer libraries, this way he will just
> > > have to deal with the GtkWidget embedding the player(e.g. the IGSTPlayer
> > > interface).
> >
> > I've already mentioned to Sebastian that this would be a bad idea. The
> > current widget never got API review, the APIs are very ad-hoc and some
> > still based on what xine-lib can do, rather than what a GTK+-ish API
> > should do.
>
> Right, and you convinced me :)
>
> What we need is a widget that is not based on totem's ;) We need
> something with a sane and clean API... which still has to be defined.
>
> If you want to work on that, great, we really need something like
> that :) But I don't think one can design a good API for that without
> having much experience with GStreamer and GTK.

Hi!

I've just read your mail and bastien's one. Probably I wasn't clear
enough wen I talked about using the totem's code. In fact I was talking
about  using only the "bacon-video.widget-gst-0.10.c" code. It creates a
pipeline with full media support, visualisation support, missing plugins
handling support, subtitles support.
Last year when I start my project to create a set of tools to viewing,
recording and analysis of audio-visual information, particulary related
to sports, I faced the problem of finding a GTK multimedia player
controlable through the code (not like embedding Totem or mplayer, witch
is controlable only though the UI). I had to implement mi own player,
and i had to deal with the gstreamer API witch was very difficult at the
beginning. This new project will avoid this to developers that only want
a gstreamer multimedia player in their aplications without worrying of
anything else.
As I told you I have already done a good job on Linux. I can send the
code and some examples to show his actual state.
If you approve it, please tell how can I apply to GSOC because I don't
now very well how.
Regards, Andoni Morales

Re: Google Summer of Code

Andoni Morales

2008/4/2, Sebastian Dröge <[hidden email]>:
On Mi, 2008-04-02 at 18:03 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 18:42 +0200, Andoni Morales Alastruey wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'd like to participate on the GSOC developing a multilingual
> > embeddable multimedia player to give GTK multimedia application's
> > developpers an easy solution on multimedia player support.
> >
> > The idea is to create a GtkWidget with an embedded gstreamer multimedia
> > player, based on the code of Totem, with bindings for the more commons
> > used languages to avoid programmers leading with the gstreamer code.
> > When requiring the use of a multimedia player on an program, the
> > developer must deal with the gstreamer libraries, this way he will just
> > have to deal with the GtkWidget embedding the player(e.g. the IGSTPlayer
> > interface).
>
> I've already mentioned to Sebastian that this would be a bad idea. The
> current widget never got API review, the APIs are very ad-hoc and some
> still based on what xine-lib can do, rather than what a GTK+-ish API
> should do.

Right, and you convinced me :)

What we need is a widget that is not based on totem's ;) We need
something with a sane and clean API... which still has to be defined.

If you want to work on that, great, we really need something like
that :) But I don't think one can design a good API for that without
having much experience with GStreamer and GTK.

I' ve been programming Gtk  User Interfaces for one year and I'm very familirar with Gtk libs. Also, for 6 months I've been programming a multimedia player using Gstreamer for my Degree tesis project with metadata support, visualisation support(goom), multichanel audio support, subtitles support,snapshot support,etc..I think I can have a good multimedia player in 2 months as i have already made a good progress, i'll need one more week for the GUI design and one more month for  developing the wrappers for at least 4 programming languages (java,c#,phyton and c++) witch will be in the GSOC deadlines. I'm very motivated on this project and with your help I hope i'll made a good work.I'm not talking about writting the definitive gstreamer multimedia, as i'm not a GStreamer guru, but it will be a good start for a project that will promote the use of GStreamer on multimedia applications..

Regards Andoni