gst-launch and AVI file with only good plugins

gst-launch and AVI file with only good plugins

Vinay Reddy
Hi,
Is there a way to play an MPEG4 avi file (both video and audio) using
gst-launch and only the good plugins?

I got till "gst-launch filesrc location="test.avi" ! avidemux
name=demuxer !". The examples I found on the internet seemed to use
xvideosink or sdlvideosink or mpeg2dec or windec and none of these are
present on my system (I installed gstreamer, base plugins and the good
plugins).

I could get audio to play by using "gst-launch filesrc
location="test.avi" ! avidemux name=demuxer ! alsasink" though.

I'd appreciate any pointers/help.

Thanks,
Vinay

Re: gst-launch and AVI file with only good plugins

Vinay Reddy
Also, some of the documentation seems to suggest that windec (a way to
link to windows dlls for decoding), has moved to the good plugins. Is
there a way to use this for decoding (and maybe displaying the video)
on windows?

Thanks,
Vinay

On Dec 23, 2007 6:23 PM, Vinay Reddy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> Is there a way to play an MPEG4 avi file (both video and audio) using
> gst-launch and only the good plugins?
>
> I got till "gst-launch filesrc location="test.avi" ! avidemux
> name=demuxer !". The examples I found on the internet seemed to use
> xvideosink or sdlvideosink or mpeg2dec or windec and none of these are
> present on my system (I installed gstreamer, base plugins and the good
> plugins).
>
> I could get audio to play by using "gst-launch filesrc
> location="test.avi" ! avidemux name=demuxer ! alsasink" though.
>
> I'd appreciate any pointers/help.
>
> Thanks,
> Vinay

Re: gst-launch and AVI file with only good plugins

Vinay-19
Hello Vinay,

MPEG2DEC plugin comes as part of gst-plugins-ugly package. It requires
an external library mpeg2dec which you need to install to use the
plugin.

You can use ffmpeg codecs to play your MPEG4 AVI file. You need to
install the ffmpeg package to get all the codecs.

The pipeline will look something like this,
gst-launch-0.10 filesrc location=test.avi ! avidemux name=d d. ! queue
! ffdec_mpeg4 ! sdlvideosink d. ! queue ! mad ! audioconvert !
alsasink.

Regards,
Vinay K.

On Dec 24, 2007 7:53 AM, Vinay Reddy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> Is there a way to play an MPEG4 avi file (both video and audio) using
> gst-launch and only the good plugins?
>
> I got till "gst-launch filesrc location="test.avi" ! avidemux
> name=demuxer !". The examples I found on the internet seemed to use
> xvideosink or sdlvideosink or mpeg2dec or windec and none of these are
> present on my system (I installed gstreamer, base plugins and the good
> plugins).
>
> I could get audio to play by using "gst-launch filesrc
> location="test.avi" ! avidemux name=demuxer ! alsasink" though.
>
> I'd appreciate any pointers/help.
>
> Thanks,
> Vinay

Re: gst-launch and AVI file with only good plugins

Vinay Reddy
Thanks for the reply, Vinay.

I get the following error when I try the command you suggested:
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
ERROR: from element /pipeline0/d: Internal data stream error.
Additional debug info:
gstavidemux.c(3742): gst_avi_demux_loop (): /pipeline0/d:
streaming stopped, reason not-linked
ERROR: pipeline doesn't want to preroll.
Setting pipeline to NULL ...
FREEING pipeline ...

I already have ffmpeg and the gst-ffmpeg installed (along with the
base, good, bad and ugly plugins).

Doing a "file test.avi" gives:
test.avi: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 720 x 480, ~30 fps, video:,
audio: uncompressed PCM (stereo, 48000 Hz). It's an mpeg2 file. I
tried the to play an mpeg4 file, but got the same error. I'd
appreciate any help/pointers.

Thanks,
Vinay

On Dec 23, 2007 7:24 PM, Vinay <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Vinay,
>
> MPEG2DEC plugin comes as part of gst-plugins-ugly package. It requires
> an external library mpeg2dec which you need to install to use the
> plugin.
>
> You can use ffmpeg codecs to play your MPEG4 AVI file. You need to
> install the ffmpeg package to get all the codecs.
>
> The pipeline will look something like this,
> gst-launch-0.10 filesrc location=test.avi ! avidemux name=d d. ! queue
> ! ffdec_mpeg4 ! sdlvideosink d. ! queue ! mad ! audioconvert !
> alsasink.
>
> Regards,
> Vinay K.
>

> On Dec 24, 2007 7:53 AM, Vinay Reddy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Is there a way to play an MPEG4 avi file (both video and audio) using
> > gst-launch and only the good plugins?
> >
> > I got till "gst-launch filesrc location="test.avi" ! avidemux
> > name=demuxer !". The examples I found on the internet seemed to use
> > xvideosink or sdlvideosink or mpeg2dec or windec and none of these are
> > present on my system (I installed gstreamer, base plugins and the good
> > plugins).
> >
> > I could get audio to play by using "gst-launch filesrc
> > location="test.avi" ! avidemux name=demuxer ! alsasink" though.
> >
> > I'd appreciate any pointers/help.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Vinay

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the
inexpressible is music - Aldous Huxley

Re: gst-launch and AVI file with only good plugins

Vinay-19
Hello Vinay,

>From the stream properties, it looks like the audio data is in
uncompressed format. But the pipeline that I mentioned uses "mad"
which is an mp3 decoder. Can you modify the audio pipeline path and
try out?

Also, you can try with ffdemux_avi if avidemux does not work.

Regards,
Vinay K.