gstreamer-plugin-gl win32

Julien.Isorce
Hi,

I saw that gstreamer-plugin-gl is using X11.
Especially in gstgldisplay.h and .c

I think it should use glut instead of using X11 directly.
With glut the code is the same on linux and windows. It is one level more
than X11 and win32 API.

So I want to know if someone is already working ont it ?

Otherwise I can lock the idea and I can work on using glut in
gstreamer-plugin-gl to manage the display.

Sincerely,

Julien Isorce

Re: gstreamer-plugin-gl win32

Vincent Torri

you can also use Glew. I works fine on unix, macos x and win32

Vincent Torri

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I saw that gstreamer-plugin-gl is using X11.
> Especially in gstgldisplay.h and .c
>
> I think it should use glut instead of using X11 directly.
> With glut the code is the same on linux and windows. It is one level more
> than X11 and win32 API.
>
> So I want to know if someone is already working ont it ?
>
> Otherwise I can lock the idea and I can work on using glut in
> gstreamer-plugin-gl to manage the display.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Julien Isorce

> --
> Ce message a été vérifié par MailScanner
> pour des virus ou des polluriels et rien de
> suspect n'a été trouvé.
> Message délivré par le serveur de messagerie de l'Université d'Evry.

Re: gstreamer-plugin-gl win32

David Schleef
On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 11:44:24PM +0100, [hidden email] wrote:

> I saw that gstreamer-plugin-gl is using X11.
> Especially in gstgldisplay.h and .c
>
> I think it should use glut instead of using X11 directly.
> With glut the code is the same on linux and windows. It is one level more
> than X11 and win32 API.
>
> So I want to know if someone is already working ont it ?
>
> Otherwise I can lock the idea and I can work on using glut in
> gstreamer-plugin-gl to manage the display.

GLUT isn't really the right abstraction for removing the X dependency
from libgstgl.  gstgldisplay.c is itself an abstraction layer for
handling GLX connections, which could easily be expanded to include
other backends.  I'm not hugely familiar with GLUT, but I'm pretty
sure there are a number of things that gstgldisplay does (or should
do) that are not handled by GLUT.  In fact, everything except opening
and connection and creating a window.

I'd be happy to look at a patch, though.

dave...

Re: gstreamer-plugin-gl win32

Julien.Isorce

> On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 11:44:24PM +0100, [hidden email]
> wrote:
>> I saw that gstreamer-plugin-gl is using X11.
>> Especially in gstgldisplay.h and .c
>>
>> I think it should use glut instead of using X11 directly.
>> With glut the code is the same on linux and windows. It is one level
>> more
>> than X11 and win32 API.
>>
>> So I want to know if someone is already working ont it ?
>>
>> Otherwise I can lock the idea and I can work on using glut in
>> gstreamer-plugin-gl to manage the display.
>
> GLUT isn't really the right abstraction for removing the X dependency
> from libgstgl.  gstgldisplay.c is itself an abstraction layer for
> handling GLX connections, which could easily be expanded to include
> other backends.  I'm not hugely familiar with GLUT, but I'm pretty
> sure there are a number of things that gstgldisplay does (or should
> do) that are not handled by GLUT.  In fact, everything except opening
> and connection and creating a window.
>
> I'd be happy to look at a patch, though.
>

> dave...

Hi,

I took a better look of the files (gstreamer-plugins-gl) and ...
I cannot see any comments in the code.

I think the best way it's to start from scratch, and only use
mutli-platform code.

Please make your code reusable, even if no time or anything else. I am
sure there is a good reason for no comments in gstreamer-plugins-gl code
(hope).

Sincerely,

Julien